Preview of Chapter 13 and 15 Changes from ASCE 7-10 to ASCE 7-16: Seismic Design Requirements for Nonstructural Components and Nonbuilding Structures
The importance of nonstructural components and nonbuilding structures to earthquake resiliency has been the focus of increasing emphasis in the code. Damage to nonstructural components and nonbuilding structures has figured prominently in the costs and recovery times associated with recent earthquakes.
In response to feedback from SKGA seminar participants, this seminar has been developed to exclusively discuss the changes to the nonstructural components and nonbuilding structures provisions in ASCE 7-16, including:
- Changes to the exemptions for small components.
- Revision of the exemptions for distribution systems.
- Clarification of the requirements for anchor overstrength and anchorage requirements for nonbuilding structures.
- Changes to the requirements for connection of exterior wall elements.
- Changes to the requirements for lay-in panel ceilings.
- Inclusion of specific provisions for egress stairs and ramps.
- Inclusion of provisions for ballasted PV solar panels.
- Adoption of vertical ground motions for nonbuilding structures.
- Exemption from accidental torsion requirement for some nonbuilding structures.
- Requirements for nonbuilding structures on liquefiable soils.
This web seminar assumes a working knowledge of ASCE 7-10.
John F. Silva is Director of Codes and Standards for Hilti North America. He is a licensed structural engineer in California with over thirty years